I survived another Halloween... although, I must say, I think it's getting harder as the kids get older. I really do not like Halloween (Jocie says I am a party pooper... she's probably right).
I hate that I'm supposed to spend a whole bunch of money on silly costumes that they will wear ONE time.
I really hate that I spent $40.00 on candy to give away and even more than that - I hate that each of my kids came home with twice as much candy as I gave out!
I don't like the idea of sending my kids out knocking on strangers doors, in the past I've gotten around this by sticking to the ward trunk or treat and only going to each of the grandparents... but this year Alyvia was old enough to go out with her friends for a bit. I worried the whole time...
Oh yeah, and I hate people use the "Halloween" excuse to dress in a way that they NEVER would otherwise (I'm not talking about costumes necessarily, but more about MODESTY).
That being said, look at this picture of my sweet little 9 yr old!

O.K. I was being sarcastic when I said "sweet". There is a story behind this outfit choice... let me sum it up for you: Mom has cute "50's girl" outfit all picked out for her daughter (poodle skirt and all the rest of the innocence). Daughter has her OWN ideas. Mom procrastinates the discussion/compromise until the night before Halloween - big mistake! Daughter has a melt down... crying, blaming, and all that goes along with it. Mom feels terrible for not letting her daughter choose her own costume. Mom gives in and let's her be "Lola - Hanna Montana's best friend's alter ego (if you don't get that, please don't ask)". Mom faces the problem of no costume. Mom goes to Wal Mart and finds that there are NO good costumes left on the night before Halloween. Daughter cries some more... Mom can't sleep that night. Mom wakes up and gets out her own boots for the daughter to wear (you know, the boots that she always begs to wear and Mom says absolutely not) knowing that this will win her some points. Daughter puts on outfit. Mom has a coronary. Mom begs her to put on shorts underneath. Daughter is so terrified of being made fun of at school that Mom relents and LETS her go to school dressed like Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" (at least that's what Mom thinks... daughter just thinks she is Lola). O.K. so the story isn't very short... but that's pretty much it. I really, really hate Halloween now.
And here is a cute pic of Bella and cousin Hailey...
And so it begins... we arrived at the Trunk or Treat and I was able to snap a couple of quick pics of the little ones. Liv and Will were out of the car and gone with their friends before I even unbuckled my seat belt... so sadly there are no pictures of them!
Zoe as Giselle, Bella as Little Red RidingHood, Hailey as a Bunny, Maya as a Dragon, and Simon as Buzz Lightyear. Oh and Jocie is... I don't know what Jocie is.



Zak looks really happy to be here, doesn't he? He actually was having fun watching Bella trick or treat.

Just when the girls had gotten their nerve up to take the candy from the bowls they were offered - they came across this...







And one picture to prove that I was there....


11 comments:
HILARIOUS! Ahh costume drama....
Hahahaha! Your mom must have cursed you with a daughter just like hers (and I don't mean Jocelin)! Too funny! I don't think she looked like Pretty Woman, but I have no clue who Lola is so I don't know. Sounds like you have lots of drama headed your way the next few years. Good times!
i hate halloween and costumes and the whole nine years myself. so i can't blame you for feeling that way. i hate trying to figure out what i'm going to be, so i can't imagine trying to be creative enough to figure it out for four kids! so go jamie!!! (and she didn't look like pretty woman! at least, i didn't think so...)
i meant yards, not years...sorry!
I have had more than one of those battles with my 13 year old. You have my sympathy. Sometimes you have to just pick your battles!
I love love LOVE Halloween!! But then again I love all holidays and I couldn't survive without holidays to look forward to--cheer up Halloween only comes once a year...and pretty soon it'll be forgotten and Thanksgiving will be here!! And who can complain about all that yummy food and good company!
Oh and I was a photographer, couldn't you tell?
Jamie, I just wanted to tell you how much I always love getting your comments on my blog!
And I have to add that I share so many, many of your Halloween sentiments. The Lola/street walker story made me laugh so hard, though. I have problems with my oldest often, too, as she is a complete diva/fashion queen and she is tall! Everything is too short on her.
Your kids are darling, though, and my daughter would have been jealous of the Lola idea.
Ha, ha, ha! I know it's not nice, but I'm laughing my head off at the Lola costume story! Don't we love our stubborn children! I'm glad you survived the Halloween drama!
kaitie said after reading your story this is the one night you can dress like that and not be judged..I agree with your friend Pick your battles..
haha, looks like livy is already learning how get what she wants, this is one of the reasons why i don't want a girl...we're sneaky.
Zac screamed for 2 hrs straight!! So now i hate trick-or-treating. At least your kids had fun.
Dani
Post a Comment