Friday, May 9, 2008

Stimulating...


I checked my bank account this morning and we finally received our "stimulus " money from the government, YAY! We got quite a bit (thanks to all those kids we keep having) and now I'm wondering what to do with it... I know, I know I'm supposed to be out stimulating the economy with my free money. Believe me I want to be out shopping for a new cool t.v. that hangs right up there on the wall, or would I rather have new carpet downstairs... hmmm No wait, I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a new sectional for downstairs! FYI: I'm conveniently ignoring that long list of things this old house "needs" fixed or replaced, although new windows would be nice. But if we replaced the windows than we'd be opening up a whole other can of worms. Why is that? (I'm sure you were wondering) Because then I would have to paint all the trim and soffit to match the new window color I have picked out, oh and don't forget the garage door, yes - everything must match or I will be eternally bugged! And if I actually got around to accomplishing ALL that, then I would for sure want to get a new front door... you see? It never ends! And the idea of this lovely gift of "free" money turning into all that work just doesn't sit well with me right now. However, neither does the idea of frivolous spending with a supposed recession looming in the distance. To be honest with you, lately I have had a particular quote by the late Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley running through my mind...
"I am suggesting that the time has come to get our houses in order. So many of our people are living on the very edge of their incomes. In fact, some are living on borrowings. We have witnessed in recent weeks wide and fearsome swings in the markets of the world. The economy is a fragile thing. A stumble in the economy in Jakarta or Moscow can immediately affect the entire world. It can eventually reach down to each of us as individuals. There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed." (Nov. 1998)
It's that last line that has been on constant replay in my head. So guess what? We will be "stimulating" our savings account and probably expanding our food storage with our extra money for now. Kind of boring, I know... The best news is, I'm pretty sure I won't end up with buyers remorse! HaHa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what we're spending our money on! I would love to be able to decorate a few rooms in my house with it, but i'd rather have food for when the "storm" hits.
Dani