One of our favorite pastimes... jumping at the waterfall!
Me and my cousin Kristen on "TableRock"
A nice view of part of my Granpa's ranch in Mt. Carmel, Utah
Grandpa and Grandma in front of the old outhouseWhat a weekend! I've spent hours scanning in pictures for a book we are making for my Grandpa for his 80th birthday. I love Shutterfly! We just set up an account and gave out the password to everyone in the fam and assigned them each their own page numbers to design. It's been really fun seeing it all come together. After looking through thousands of old photos of my Mom's and mine and picking out those relevant to Grandpa, I noticed a theme. The vast majority of our memories with our extended family have occurred at my Grandpa's ranch. As I looked through the pictures, memories flooded my mind. I spent several summers with my cousins working at the ranch with my Grandparents. I've moved lines by hand across the fields at all hours of the night and day, gotten stuck in the mud up to my thighs, used an outhouse (not just once, but for an entire summer), ridden horses to town and back, spotted rattlesnakes, and SO much more. Remember the time the rivers flooded and we got stranded at the ranch? What about the time the 4 wheeler tipped over the side of the mountain (with Grandpa, Jen, and I on it)! Easter wouldn't be the same without our traditional Easter Egg hunt on the mountain. And who could forget that year that Aunt Jo (that's my Mom) made us have "church" up at white mountain. We moaned and groaned as she assigned out the talks and musical numbers, but we experienced something special that year that began a family tradition. It got me wondering, what if we hadn't had this wonderful place? Would we be as close as we are now? My Grandpa has been offered A LOT of money over the years for his property, we are talking in the millions, and I am so grateful that the sentimental value has thus far outweighed any monetary gain. I think my Grandpa knew all along what we had and I've only just realized it. I really hope that my kids will be able to have a similar experience. Last summer my oldest daughter spent 2 weeks at the ranch with my parents and grandparents. Needless to say, she didn't want to come home. I thought about being a little dissappointed that she didn't even miss me (so she says), but then I remember being in her shoes and I smiled because I knew just exactly how she felt...

1 comment:
Aww, you wrote that so well! And I love the pictures!
Post a Comment